Adam Douglas, a junior year Biology major and Director of the National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week (NHHAW) through the UK Center for Community Outreach, is seeking help from UK staff and faculty.
NHHAW is hosting events to raise awareness about the realities and hardships of the homeless in our city, as well as to directly serve those in need. These events are co-sponsored by The Campus Kitchen at UK; Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Sciences; and, WRFL. Some of the events include:
- a banquet/bowls night on November 15th to raise money for the Catholic Action Center;
- the OXFAM Hunger Banquet, 6-8:30 p.m. on November 18th to raise awareness of global and local hunger (King Alumni House, 400 Rose Street);
- NHHAW Community Service Day at multiple homeless and hunger-serving sites around Lexington on November 19th (including the Hope Center); and
- our annual Thanksgiving Basket Drive, which will be taking place the entire week.
They are seeking our support and participation. Friday, November 20th is the deadline for the Thanksgiving Basket Drive. Please deliver your basket to the Center for Community Outreach Office, Room 361 in Blazer Hall. To create a Thanksgiving Basket follow this list of five parts to be included in every basket:
- Instant mashed potatoes
- Cranberry sauce
- Box of stuffing
- $15 gift card or cash for turkey
- Side dishes (choose two):
- Green beans
- Lima Beans
- Sweet veggie (choose one):
- Canned pumpkin
- Canned yams
- Dessert (choose one):
- Canned vanilla pudding + vanilla wafers
Any extra donations of gift cards or toiletries would also be great to put in the basket. Some toiletries could include shampoo and conditioner, soap, feminine hygiene products, diapers, baby wipes, etc.
Please share this information with colleagues and student groups.