In a recent message sent out to the UK community from Provost Tim Tracy and VP Eric Monday, we got some more details about the campus construction projects underway. The University of Kentucky has invested in $1.8 billion of construction that is either about to begin or has already broken ground. This summer alone we saw the opening of three new residence halls, The 90 dining and classroom facility, the redesign of Alumni Drive and the renovation of Commonwealth Stadium – in these past three months.
(Campus projects listed on the map above, clockwise from top)
- Bowman’s Den
- Starbucks at W.T.Young Library
- The 90
- Woodland Glen III, IV and V
- Sports Center Drive
- Commonwealth Stadium
- Soccer/Softball Locker Rooms
- Alumni Drive
- Fema Project
- South Campus Parking Lot Expansion
- AG Deli Renovation
- Starbucks KY Clinic Renovation
- Employee Wellness Center
- Fusion Cafe Renovation
- Scott Street Parking Lot
- Art and Visual Studies Building
- Gatton Business and Economics Phase I
We heartily recommend everyone start using public transportation or bicycles! Who knows what or who you will see on Mulberry Street? [Note: Limestone Street here in Lexington was also once known as Mulberry Street.]
Here are some good tips on using alternatives to your car to commute to the UK campus:
- the BluPass program — UK students, faculty and staff have free access to Lextran service (just show your UKID).
- the University’s campus bus and shuttle system has more locations served and more frequent bus service. All campus routes (including the Red Mile service) are viewable real-time via Transloc, a GPS-based bus locating system: http://uky.transloc.com/. You can also download a free Transloc Rider app for Android, iPhone and Blackberry mobile devices. Or, you can send a text message to 41411 with UKY and the appropriate stop number to receive a message back listing the next three arrival times for that stop.
- UK Parking and Transportation Services has announced a voucher program for up to 100 qualified students and employees – $400, redeemable at participating local bicycle shops, in exchange for not bringing a car to campus for the next two years. Deadline for a bike voucher is Sunday, August 30th.
- The Big Blue Cycles Program (a fleet of 160 bicycles available to students living in campus housing and who promise not to bring a car to Lexington) has already closed registration for 2015-16.