This just in from Dr. Bethany Miller, Director, Office of Retention & Student Success:
In Fall 2015, as part of the First Year Experience’s “The Blueprint”, UK will offer Student Success Workshops to all new and returning students. These free, hour-long sessions starting September 1st cover a wide range of topics to help equip students with the tools they need to excel academically and personally. Here’s a list of those planned so far just for the month of September (with more to come!):
- Anxiety 101
- Budgeting 101: Can I Afford My life?
- Discover Your Learning Style and What Works for You
- “Do What You Are”: Where Personality Meets Profession
- E-Portfolios/Web Design
- First Year in a Flash
- From Your Paper to the Podium: Strategies for Effective Speech Delivery
- Help! I need scholarly articles
- How Money Smart are YOU? Contest
- How to Make the Most of Your College Experience
- Involvement 2.0
- Listening & Responding: Empathy, Understanding & Constructive Criticism
- Planning Ahead!
- PowerPoint Me in the Right Direction: Constructing and Integrating Presentational Aids
- Say What??? Developing and Organizing an Effective Speech
- Soup & Substance: Real Talk, Real Issues, & Real People Series
- Take this Down! Note-taking Tips for Student Success
- The Balance Ninjas
- The Right Cite to Write: Exploring Academic Integrity when Conducting, Evaluating and Using Research
- Undergraduate Research Session
- Use My Book? How to use a textbook
- Work-School-Life Balance: Time Management Skills Every Student Should Know
UK students are strongly encouraged to attend one or more of these meaningful workshops. Those enrolled in UK 101 are required to attend at least one workshop. For more information, please visit www.uky.edu/studentsuccess/workshop-series or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Academic Majors Fair will be held on Tuesday, September 22nd from 1:00 – 5:00 pm in The Hub at W. T. Young Library. This event will allow students to explore the different academic options open to them at UK as well as provide resources to help them navigate the process of changing or adding Majors or Minors. Larissa McLaughlin will be reaching out to college contacts this week regarding table assignments and further planning. The below image can be shared for promotional purposes. For more information, visit www.uky.edu/studentsuccess/majors-fair-2015 or contact email@example.com.