This just in from Jamie Dunn, 2014-15 Chair-Elect of the UK Advising Network
The Advising Network is seeking nominations for the 2015-16 Executive Committee and University Senate Committee positions below.
As you know, the Advising Network provides professional development and learning opportunities for advisors from all units and contributes to a strong campus-wide advising community. Serving on the Executive Committee or a University Senate Committee is an excellent way to not only contribute to the success and effectiveness of advising at UK but also to positively impact the advising environment on campus. It is essential, especially in times of great change, for our presence to remain strong and our voice to be heard.
My experience has been that everyone on the Executive Committee helps each other and the group works well as a team. We want to encourage all Network members to participate but especially those who have not yet served in a particular role! You will have lots of tangible support in learning your new role—past and current leaders stand ready to assist you. Remember, we all came into these positions as newbies so we know what it’s like! We also have some fun at our meetings!
The Executive Committee usually holds a short meeting twice each month. University Senate committee meetings are scheduled by the leader of the committee in question.
Please take a moment to nominate yourself or someone you think would be interested in serving in one of these positions through the link at the bottom of this message.
- Chair-Elect: The chair-elect’s responsibility is to learn from the chair and past-chair before assuming the role of network chair. The chair-elect coordinates the annual network elections and chairs the elections committee. In addition, the chair-elect is responsible for planning the calendar and network meetings.
CURRENT POSITION HELD BY JAMIE DUNN, AGRICULTURE, FOOD & ENVIRONMENT (Year 1 – Chair-Elect, Year 2 – Chair, Year 3 – Past-Chair)
- Treasurer: The treasurer is responsible for preparing and managing the annual budget, processing financial transactions and assisting the chair with compiling the annual report for the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education. This is a two year position.
CURRENT POSITION HELD BY BRAD HUBBARD, HONORS PROGRAM
- Public Relations Coordinator: This position will oversee the electronic newsletter, post information to the advising network website, chair the public relations committee, and assist other committee members as needed to coordinate publicity. This is a one year position and can be jointly held.
CURRENT POSITION HELD JOINTLY BY RYAN SALLEE, UNDERGRADUATE STUDIES and EMILY SALLEE, COMMUNICATION & INFORMATION
- Events Coordinator: This position coordinates, with additional help from the membership when needed, Advising Network events to include Day of Service, holiday social event, advising awards (Ken Freedman Outstanding Advisor Award and luncheon, NACADA awards, etc.) and other events as developed. For each event, the coordinator handles invitations, tracks attendance, reserves rooms, negotiates menus and prices with catering, and handles event publicity. Also, this position chairs the events committee, which organizes all components of an event including decorations, publicity, programs, IT support, and budget. This is a one year position and can be jointly held.
CURRENT POSITION HELD JOINTLY BY GERI PHILPOTT and ANN LEED, AGRICULTURE, FOOD & ENVIRONMENT
- Admissions & Academic Standards Committee: Represent the Advising Network as a non-voting member of the University Senate’s Admissions and Academic Standards Committee (SAASC). This committee examines and recommends to the University Senate: changes regarding admission requirements and grading rules; standards for granting academic credit; probation and suspension procedures; and degree and graduation requirements. Meeting frequency varies up to biweekly during the fall and spring semesters. This is a three year position.
CURRENT POSITION HELD BY ROBERT HAYES, UNDERGRADUATE STUDIES
- Undergraduate Council: Represent the Advising Network as a non-voting member on the Undergraduate Council which functions to review proposals for new and revised undergraduate courses and degree programs. Meeting frequency is generally once or twice during the fall and spring semesters. This is a three-year position.
CURRENT POSITION HELD BY RANDA REMER, HEALTH SCIENCES
Nomination Survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CSGNRNR
NOMINATIONS WILL CLOSE AT 5:00PM ON TUESDAY, MAY 12, 2015
If you have any questions please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to learn more about a particular position, also feel free to contact the person currently in the role. You can find contact info for all current representatives on the Advising Network website.
Thank you for participating in the nomination process!
Jamie R. Dunn, M.S.
Chair-Elect, UK Advising Network
Director of Student Success
Agriculture Residential College Coordinator
College of Agriculture, Food and Environment
University of Kentucky
N8 Agricultural Science Center
Lexington, KY 40546-0091
(859) 257-3468 Phone (859) 323-8495 Fax