This just in from Dr. Ben Withers, Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education:
Please find attached a position description (download .pdf here) for the newly created Associate Dean for Career and Academic Exploration and Assistant Provost in UGE. This position supports the reorganization of the Stuckert Career Center and Undergraduate Studies that was announced earlier this summer [see the Bluegrass Blade post].
This is an internal search.
Expected start date is January 7, 2015, though we understand that because ideal candidates are likely to currently have other administrative duties, there will some flexibility in timing and DOE percentages assigned.
Benjamin C. Withers, Ph.D.
Professor of Art History
Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education
University of Kentucky
*** Some selected highlights from the position description ***
The successful candidate for this position will demonstrate knowledge and familiarity with both academic advising and career development. Excellent communication skills and ability to create strategic plans and mission for a large, complex unit are required. Candidates must show the ability to balance competing priorities and to integrate multiple perspectives in their planning process. While maintaining a focus on the needs of undergraduate students, the Associate Dean/Assistant Provost must also be able to mentor staff and encourage greater faculty involvement from all disciplines in the advising and career development process across campus. This position requires ability to formulate and communicate a particular vision for UK’s approach to advising/career services and a willingness to listen to and learn from multiple perspectives.
Specific duties include:
- Lead and direct integrated career and advising units, with responsibility for overall budget and strategic planning.
- Develop initiatives, services, and programs within UGE to support undecided/exploratory, readmitted and transfer students in determining career and life goals.
- Collaborate with deans and associate deans in all undergraduate colleges to integrate career exploration opportunities into academic curricula; facilitate academic progress for all UK undergraduates, promoting student transition into majors and into successful careers and post-graduate study.
- Work with Advising Network and Advising Leadership Team. Develop and lead campus advisory committee to evaluate and strengthen advising and career services on campus, assess student, staff, faculty, and technology needs.
- Implement engagement practices to foster productive relationships among students, staff, and faculty that help students explore and make academic and career decisions.
- Work with colleges and Enrollment Management in recruiting first year and transfer students.
- Serve as a member of campus leadership team for Retention and Student Success, helping to design and implement strategies to improve student persistence and progression using data to develop holistic campus-wide academic and career exploration strategies to improve academic performance and retention.
- Collaborate in campus undergraduate curriculum processes, providing leadership for Undergraduate Council and UK Core Education Committee (UKCEC).
- Coordinate pre-major requirements with academic departments and manage appeals for exceptions to the University’s General Education Program.
Candidates must be tenured members of any of UK’s undergraduate colleges and hold the rank of associate professor or higher. At least five years of administrative experience (such as department chair, associate dean, or other positions that involve responsibility for planning, budgeting and supervision of staff in a professional context) is required. Experience with academic or career advising is required.