This morning’s Town Hall discussion about the University’s strategic plan featured the work of Working Group #1: “Create a Vibrant Undergraduate Learning Community” was co-chaired by Kim Anderson and Jane Jenson. These Town Halls represent opportunities for the community to learn about the University of Kentucky 2014-2020 Strategic Plan and to share ideas.
Some key points made this morning were:
- challenges, e.g., even though UK’s first-year students exceed the performance of their peers (identified by the Carnegie Commission on Higher Education) on three of five National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) benchmarks, UK’s seniors rate UK more poorly than do their counterparts at other research universities on three of the benchmarks (academic challenge, enriching educational experience, and supportive campus environment);
- opportunities, e.g., experiential education is being increasingly utilized to enhance the undergraduate curriculum; and,
- three main actions with appropriate tactics to achieve success
- Focus on Integrated and Interdisciplinary Learning (tactic: e.g., expand opportunities for undergraduate enrichment programs);
- Engage in High Impact Teaching and Learning Opportunities (tactic: e.g., increase and integrate student participation in experiential education and service-learning);
- Achieve National Excellence in Student Support to Degree (tactic: e.g., blend advising and career services to improve the student experience and placement rates)
The work group co-chairs encourage us invite a colleague or community partner to participate in the review process. Attend additional feedback sessions in person or online – additional sessions for Work Group #1 are:
- Student Affairs Strategic Planning Community Feedback, April 18 at 1 p.m. Student Center Room #357
- Student Forum, April 21 at 4 p.m. Student Center Theater
- Directors of Undergraduate Studies, April 23 at 4 p.m., 230 Student Center
- Advising Network Forum, TBA
Other Strategic Planning Working Groups include:
- Working Group #2: Advance a High-Quality Graduate and Professional Portfolio
- Working Group #3: Cultivate a Robust Research and Creative Environment
- Working Group #4: Transform the Campus, Brand and Infrastructure at UK
- Working Group #5: Foster a Positive Work Environment for Faculty and Staff
- Working Group #6: Have a Meaningful Impact on the Commonwealth and the Community
If you missed this morning’s presentation, you can download it here (.ppt file). Keep in mind that the metrics in the presentation are a “work in progress” – and that the final version will go before the Board of Trustees for approval. So, this version is not the final one.
Be sure and keep an eye on the updates on the webpage devoted to the Town Halls – http://www.uky.edu/strategic-plan/resources/town-halls – you’ll find videos and podcasts of the events there.