New Student & Parent Programs in the Division of Student Affairs sent out a call for events for the opening of this coming fall term – K Week 2013 – deadline is Friday, June 7th. This series of events and programs are crucial to our students’ orientation to the University campus and helps to build a campus climate of community. This is a tangible way to show our students that we care about their success here at UK.
Each college, department and support unit should participate in a way that gives our students a lasting memory of what each of us does to make this campus an exciting, academically challenging and meaningful part of their adult lives. In 2009, UGE’s graduate research assistant Sheila Vinton produced an interesting report from her findings from orientations currently offered by various colleges and units entitled, Building Community Early: The Importance of Designing Positive Connections on Campus. She found that creating community on campus both inside and outside the classroom is one of the best ways to diminish attrition due to students leaving because UK seems “too big.”
Here are some big events already scheduled for this fall:
- Friday, August 23: K Week Kick-off Meeting, 8-10 pm
- Saturday, August 24:
- New Student Induction Ceremony: 3:30 – 5:00 p.m.
- K Week Overview Meeting: 6:30 p.m.
- Big Blue U: Following K Team Meeting
- Campus Ruckus: Following Big Blue U
- Sunday, August 25:
- K Team Lunch and Campus Tour: 1 – 3 p.m.
- UK Lex-Mart: 3 – 5 p.m.
- Student Center Spectacular: 8 p.m. – midnight
- Monday, August 26:
- UK FUSION: 10-3:30 p.m.
- Dinner with K Teams: 5 – 7 p.m.
- Meijer Mania: 9 p.m. – midnight
- Tuesday, August 27:
- College Meetings: 12:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Common Reading Book Discussions with K Teams: 3:45 – 4:45 p.m.
- We Are UK: 5 – 8 p.m.
- Thursday, August 29:
- Student Involvement Fair: 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Old Navy Funiversity: 9 p.m. – midnight
The end of K Week falls during Labor Day Weekend this year (through Saturday, August 31st). Please consider organizing events/programs during this time; the events will be included in the regular K Week schedule (in their book and on their web site). In addition, for orientation events scheduled after Labor Day, the book and web site will have a page entitled: “The Fun Doesn’t Stop After K Week.”
To submit an event for K Week, please send the following information to Lauren Goodpaster, Director of New Student & Parent Programs. Be sure to put “K Week Event Submission” in the subject line of your e-mail. Also, please keep your event description to 50 words or less. All publications or promotions for your events should include a K Week logo.
- Title of your event
- Date of your event (K Week begins on Friday, August 23rd through Saturday, August 31st)
- Proposed time of your event (start time to end time)
- Location for your event (all Student Center and outdoor requests must still go through the Student Center reservation system)
- Description of your event (no longer than 50 words)
- Sponsors for your event
Lauren A. Goodpaster
Director, New Student & Parent Programs
Division of Student Affairs
University of Kentucky
567 Patterson Office Tower
Lexington, KY 40506-0027